Our South Africa festivals listing will provide a basic events calendar with a listing of some of the best events in South Africa for every month.
In South Africa you will find so many attractions, festivals and events worth a visit. There are so many events that I can not list all of them in my calendar, but I will include the most important dates to remember and try to choose the best events for each month.
This is a tough choice, however I am sure you like my listing which limits your search and you will know which one of the events are a real must go and see.
Click on the events to get more info about what’s on at these annual South Africa festivals:
• January: New Year’s Day (Public Holiday countrywide), Minstrel Carnival (Cape Town), Sun Met Horse Race Festival (Cape Town), Wildflower Festival (Chrissiesmeer/Mpumalanga), Red Bull King of the Air Kitesurfing World Championship (Cape Town)
• February: Design Indaba (Cape Town), Harvest Festivals (Cape Winelands), Marula Festival (Phalaborwa/Limpopo), Karoo Fees (De Aar/Northern Cape), Clarens Beer Festival (Clarens/Free State), Dusi Canoe Marathon (Durban/KZN)
• March: International Jazz festival (Cape Town), Cape Town Cycle Tour (Cape Town), St. Patrick’s Day Dinner and Dance (Cape Town and Johannesburg), Human Rights Day Festivals (countrywide), KKNK Klein Karoo Kunstefees (Oudtshoorn/Western Cape), Scifest (Grahamstown/Western Cape)
• April: Two Oceans Marathon (Cape Town), Easter (Public Holiday countrywide), SA Cheese Festival (Stellenbosch), Decorex (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg), Freedom Day (Public Holiday countrywide), Splashy Fen (Underberg/KZN)
• May: Workers’ Day (Public Holiday countrywide), Olive Festival (Ribeek Casteel/Western Cape), Pink Loerie Mardi Gras (Knysna), Franschhoek Literary Festival (Franschhoek/Western Cape), Boat Show (Durban/KZN), The Royal Show (Pietermaritzburg/KZN)
• June: National Arts Festival (Grahamstown), Comrades Marathon (Durban), Youth Day Celebrations (Public Holiday countrywide), Christmas in Winter Festival (Tulbagh/Western Cape), Pink Loerie Mardi Gras (Knysna/Western Cape)
• July: Oyster Festival (Knysna), Durban July Horse Race (Durban), Nelson Mandela Day (countrywide), International Film Festival (Durban), America Day Celebrations (Cape Town, Johannesburg), Bastille Day French Festival (Franschhoek)
• August: Women’s Day (Public Holiday countrywide), Oppi Koppi Bushveld Festival (Northam/Limpopo), Fashion Week (Cape Town), Comedy Festival (Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban), Joy of Jazz Festival (Johannesburg), National Boat Show (Johannesburg), Robertson Slow Festival (Robertson), Wildflower Festival (Clanwilliam)
• September: Whale Festival (Hermanus) , Arts Alive Festival (Johannesburg), Heritage Day ('Braai Day' – Public Holiday countrywide), Kalahari Kuierfees (Upington/Northern Cape), Boat Show (Cape Town), Aardklop Festival (Potchefstroom/North West Province)
• October: Rocking the Daisies Music and Lifestyle Festival (Darling), Beer Festivals (countrywide), Macufe (Bloemfontein/Free State), International Kite Festival (Muizenberg/Western Cape), South African Tattoo (Pretoria)
• November: Cherry Festival (Ficksburg), Rose and Garden Festival (Elgin/Western Cape), World Cinema Festival (Cape Town), Christmas markets and bazars (countrywide), Taste of Tzaneen (Tzaneen/Limpopo)
• December: Mother City Queer Project (Cape Town), Afropunk (Johannesburg/Gauteng), Day of Reconciliation (Public Holiday countrywide), Christmas (Public Holiday countrywide), End of Year Celebrations and Fireworks
For a comprehensive monthly listing of the biggest festivals and events happening in South Africa, go to
Do you know of an event in South Africa which we have overlooked and should definitely add and mention in our South Africa festivals guide? Please contact us and share your info. Thanks a lot for your help.
Back from South Africa Festivals to Cape Town Events Calendar
Return to ExpatCapeTown Homepage