Are you looking for great Cape Town events in December? Then have a good look at my events calendar and see what’s on in Cape Town this month. I am sure you will find many exciting events happening in the Mother City in December, you will love to join. The choice varies from magical musical and dance shows or family classics, such as 'A Christmas Carol' or 'Noddy' to the colorful South African summer festivals such as the annual Community Chest Twilight Run in Cape Town's City Centre.
The festive season’s cheerful atmosphere is very much captured by the many outdoors Christmas markets and Christmas concerts. And you will love the great food in season. In December you can enjoy a great day out in the countryside to do some fruit pickking and join in at the cherry and apricot harvest or pick blueberries which are in season soon too. The fresh local produce will make for a very special and lekker Christmas feast if you are used to celebrating the holidays in the colder climates.
Enjoy the great Cape Town events in December, visit the beautiful beaches and the fabulous Cape Winelands and have a Very Merry Christmas in Cape Town. Here are some of the best Cape Town events in December 2019.
• Cape Town, Gardens: Cape Town Festival of Beer. 30 November - 1 December 2019 in Greenpoint. More info.
• Franschhoek: Cap Classique & Champagne Festival. 30 November - 1 December 2019 at the Huguenot Monument. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Festive Lights Switch-On. 1 December 2019. (tbc) Concert line up starts at 16h00. The Christmas lights in Grand Parade will be switched on and some of South Africa’s leading artists will perform on stage. Free entry.
• Cape Town, CBD: Francofesty. 1 - 15 December 2019. International Arts and Music Festival. More info.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Aunty Merle - It's a Girl. 22 November - 1 February 2020. Sequel to the beloved comedy "Aunty Merle - The Musical". Mark Lottering's smash hit again on stage. Tickets: From R125. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Community Chest Twilight Run and Festival. 3 December 2019. Support local charities and have lots of fun dressing up for the fun walk/run/skate at Grand Parade. Tickets: R100. More info.
• Stellenbosch: Light Art Festival. 6 - 7 December 2019 at Spier Wine Estate. Tickets: From R75. More info.
• Cape Town, Green Point: Cape Town Rugby Sevens. 13 - 15 December 2019 at the Cape Town Stadium. If you have no tickets, you still can see the Springbok Sevens players live at the V&A Waterfront in December for a signing session! tbc. Get your tickets here.
• Cape Town, Kirstenbosch Gardens: Watershed. 8 December 2019. One of the most popular South African bands in the stunning concert setting at the Botanical Gardens.Tickets: From R170.
• Cape Town, Constantia: Groot Constantia Festive Concert. 10 December 2019. Concert with the Symphony Choir of Cape Town. Tickets: R150. Picnics can be ordered at Groot Constantia directly. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Mother City Queer Project (MCQP). 21 December 2019. Have fun and dress up for the Cape's most colourful party at the Cape Town stadium! This year's theme: The Love Ball. More info about tickets.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: African Angels. 19 - 21 December 2019. Cape Town Opera's chorus returns to the Mother City with African American spirituals. More info.
• Stellenbosch: Richard Cock and Friends. 18 December 2019. Open-air concert at Oude Libertas in beautiful setting. Tickets: R260. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: The Rocky Horror Show. 6 December 2019 - 12 January 2020. Timeless songs and outrageous outfits. Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Durbanville, Barnyard Theatre: Platinum Jukebox. Until 30 December 2019 at the Tygervalley Theatre. Tickets: R175. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: A Christmas Carol - The Story of Scrooge. 14 - 24 December 2019. Cape Town City Ballet presents the Charles Dickens story - a treat for the whole family. Tickets: from R150. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: More Adventures of Noddy. 7 - 21 December 2019. Popular children's show. Tickets: from R90. More info.
• Cape Town, Observatory: Science Centre Holiday Programme. December 2019 - January 2020. Various cool tech and design activities for children. More info.
There are many more activities and shows for kids in Cape Town during the festive season and the Western Cape School Holidays. Please bookmark, more events are listed on our separate page here.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: New Year's Eve Concert and Fireworks Display. 31 December 2019. Free entrance, but entry fees might apply at some venues. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: New Years Eve at the Artscape. 31 December 2019 at the Artscape Theatre. Great place to party into the new year!
• Cape Town, Kirstenbosch Gardens: New Year’s Eve Concert with some of SA's biggest stars. 31 December 2019. The place to welcome the new year in Cape Town.
Image Credits: Mzansi Festival, shutterstock and own images
More info on events in Cape Town in December can be found on the Computicket website: www.computicket.com, where you can find more info on location and pricing and can make your bookings.
Disclaimer: Please always double-check event dates and times!
Back to Expat Cape Town Events Calendar
Return from Cape Town Events in December to ExpatCapeTown Homepage