Are you looking for great Cape Town Kids Activities for the upcoming spring school holidays? South Africa's autumn holidays are almost here when most schools in South Africa will be on holiday break from 21 - 30 March 2020. Take note that private schools might have different holiday times and opening dates, some schools already break up earlier or later! So make sure to check your children's school calendar and check common official closure times here.
On ExpatCapeTown, you will find here some great Cape Town kids activities to keep you little ones and your teenagers busy and happy when spending the school holidays in Mother City this March. And remember 21 March is Human Rights Day, then lots of activities will happen all throughout the town with free entry to the national museums as well.
In ExpatCapeTown's guide to the school holidays, you will find out:
There are loads of Cape Town kids activities on offer in and around the Mother City besides the usual great attractions like going to Two Oceans aquarium at the V&A Waterfront, visiting the Bird Park in Hout Bay or swimming with the African Penguins in Simonstown or the many fabulous Cape Town museums where your kids will be entertained and where your children will gain also some wonderful new insights or can test their talents. Or you might want to give them some play time and have some hours for yourself.
And if are in Cape Town 'only' for a holiday? Then you might be happy to have a day to yourself for visiting some of Cape Town's best attractions without having the kids moan. There are many fun events planned! Simply enjoy your Cape Town shopping without feeling guilty, because your kids will have a great time mingling with other kids and making new friends. Here are some of the best kids activities you can find in Cape Town.
• Cape Town, Woodstock: Edro Robotics Workshops. 23 - 27 March 2020. School Holiday activities for kids from Grades 2 - 7 in Cape Town. Enrol your kids now for the many workshops in their respective age groups in robotics, coding for kids and 3D design for little ones and juniors. Costs: from R400 up to R900 per course. More info.
• Cape Town, Woodstock: Science Centre School Holiday activities. March 2020. For kids of various age groups. Several holiday clubs usually take place during the holidays. Regular science shows, science skills competitions, sports tournament and much more. Details for these holidays still to be confirmed. More info.
• Cape Town, Paarden Island: CityRock. 24 - 26 March 2020. Climbing lessons and Top Rope and Lead Introduction workshops for kids and teens (5-14 years). Cost per 6hrs course: from R660 - R790, courses are taught over three days during the school holidays. More info.
• Cape Town, Grand West: Iceskating at the Ice Station. 21 - 30 March 2020. School Holidays with many extra public skating sessions. Costs: Regular entrance fees apply. With mini ice rink for children under five. Costs: Hire skates and entry R60/own skates R50 and minirink R30 per session. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Shows at the Iziko Planetarium. Various programmes. Cost: From R30. Holiday Schedule still to be confirmed.
• Cape Town, CBD: Iziko Museums. March 2020. Check out the many exhibitions at the museums from Kemet: Life in Ancient Egypt to Who built Cape Town - and don't miss the special Wednesday Evening Screenings at the Planetarium. Various age groups. More info.
• Cape Town, Grand West: Magic Bowling. 12 lanes of Ten-pin bowling fun. Costs: Regular entrance fees apply.
• Cape Town, Tokai: Norval Kids Programme. At the Norval Foundation. 21 - 30 March 2020. Various kids and family holiday activities with robotics workshops to puzzle activities and free guides tours. More info.
• Cape Town, V & A Waterfront: MOCAA Holiday Programme. March 2020. TBC. Various workshops for 6 - 12 year olds. More info
• Please take note: Cape Town, Century City: Ratanga Junction Fun Park has closed down.
• Cape Town, various suburbs: Sporting Chance Coaching Clinics. 23 - 27 March 2020. Cricket, Soccer, Hockey and Multipart Workshops are held in Bellville, Constantia and Newlands during the autumn school holidays for children in groups from ages 4-5/6 - 13. Rates: R140/morning session, depending on sports activity and age of the child. Enquire directly and please mention you heard from us. More info.
• Cape Town, Newlands: Helen O'Grady Drama Academy. Drama Classes for children from ages 5 - 18 years. Enquire with the academy about your nearest branch and book your holiday programme now! More info.
• Cape Town: Downhill Adventures Autumn 2020. Adventure activities with action packed adventure programs, half and full-day kids party adventures and day trips. How about taking the kids for sand boarding, stand-up paddling or surfing lessons in Cape Town this holiday or have a fun day with a quad biking and sand boarding combo in the Atlantis dunes, just north of Cape Town? More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Tales of Little Grey Rabbit. 21 - 30 March 2020. Family theatre performance. Tickets: From R90. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: SANDT Grand Gala. 24 March 2020. Ballet performances with Royal Ballet's superstars Marianela Nunez and Vadim Muntagirov. Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Cape Town Carnival. 21 March 2020. Cape Town's colourful carnival. Free, but seated area tickets from R350. More info.
• Further out of town, but worth a visit: Hermanus, Bot River Lagoon: Pirate Golf. Lots of fun for the whole family at Benguela Cove Wine Estate - great place for the parents and grandparents to spend their time too! More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront. Art@Africa Art Exhibition. So much talent in our country - Throughout March 2020. At the Clocktower until 14 April 2020. Free entrance. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Steelband Showcase 19 March 2020. Steel band performances at the Amphitheatre from 10h30 - 14h30. Free entrance. More info.
Kids-Activities page - disclaimer: All dates, times and prices are subject to availability and can change. Call the event organizers if you have any questions and check for exact costs and times. Booking for most of these Cape Town kids activities and events is essential.
There is also great Cape Town kids activities and entertainment offered by the bigger shopping centers in Cape Town during school holiday times. In many Cape Town shopping malls you can leave your kids in a supervised area where they can enjoy painting, clay art, pantomime classes and many other great activities. Check for events in the best Cape Town shopping centers here.
Wishing you a fantastic time in Cape Town. Make sure to let us know about your experiences when you explore some of these fantastic Cape Town kids activities and excellent Cape Town holiday clubs and workshops. Best!
Return from Cape Town Kids Activities and Holiday Events to ExpatCapeTown Homepage