Our listing of the best Cape Town events in May will give you an updated events calendar with some of the best events in May 2019.
May in Cape Town is a wonderful time! When the autumn rains start to fall, the Cape Town museums are wonderful places to flee to, but usually the sky clears quickly after some heavy downpours and the temperatures in Cape Town are still mild so you can enjoy Cape Town's great outdoors such as enjoying the now more quiet beach in St. James.
Wednesday 1 May is Workers' Day, a public holiday. Saturday, 25 May is Africa Day, although not a public holiday, many museums in the city will be open to the public for free. And of course, 12 May, mums are celebrated in South Africa as well on Mother's Day. so if you plan a leisurely lunch treat at one of the popular restaurants and wine estates, make sure to book your place early for this day.
So here is a selection of great activities and Cape Town events this May, as you will see when you take a closer look at the events calendar below.
• Cape Town, Fugard Theatre: The Snow Goose. Until 4 May 2019. Drama Production based on Paul Gallico's short story. Tickets: From R140. More info.
• Cape Town, CTICC: Decorex Cape Town. 1 - 5 May 2019. Creative home design and decoration exhibition. More info.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: The Goat, Or Who is Sylvia. Until 11 May 2019. Family drama which won the Tony Awards. Tickets: From R120. More info.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Shakespeare School Festival. 8 - 13 May 2019. Hailing from the UK, this educational festival inspires schools to present 30-minute plays at professional theatre settings. Tickets: R70. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: My Children, My Africa! 9 - 15 May 2019. Must see tragedy by Athol Fugard, the South African author who is the most played playwright worldwide after Shakespeare! Tickets R45. More info.
• Cape Town, Grand West: Local is lekka. 10 - 11 May 2019. Local music and craft beer festival. Tickets: R150. More info.
• Cape Town, Milnerton to CBD: OneRun. 19 May 2019. 12 km run from Marine Drive, Milnerton to Bree Street. Tickets R185. More info.
• Riebeek-Kasteel: Riebeek Valley Olive Festival. 4 - 5 May 2019. Popular olive festival in the scenic Riebeek Valley. More info.
• Franschhoek: Franschhoek Literary Festival. 18 - 20 May 2018. Tickets: R70. More info.
• Greyson, Genadendal: Classics for All Festival. 24 - 26 May 2019. Music festival with 10 concerts in two villages. More info.
• Knysna: Pink Loerie Mardi Gras Festival. 30 May 2019 - 2 June 2019. Tickets: More info.
Do you know of any other great Cape Town events in May which is worth adding here?
Please contact me and share your info about Cape Town events in May. Other expatriates in Cape Town will be grateful to hear a lecture, see a play or listen to music from their home countries too. Thanks a lot for your help:-)
Image Credits: Shutterstock.com