Moving to South Africa
Relocation Companies, Import Regulations, Moving Tips and Checklists
In the 'Moving to South Africa' section on ExpatCapeTown, we will provide a variety of information and tips such as moving checklists and import regulation which shall help making the moving process are less stressful experience.
Here we will also share information and answers to the most frequently asked questions regarding relocating to Cape Town, that were posted on our Expat Cape Town forum on facebook.
Moving to South Africa: Moving and Relocation companies
Using an experienced moving company means that the settling-in process will usually proceed much more smoothly.
There are many moving and relocation companies that do international relocations, but we always advise to contact a moving company that is experienced in dealing with customers moving to South Africa
The major companies experienced in South Africa relocation include Elliot Mobility, Crown Relocations, Biddulphs, Stuttafords, Anglo-Pacific, Kings International, Pickfords and Sterling.
Useful Tips for Moving to South Africa
- Personal effects and used household goods for personal use, however, can be imported duty-free when you are in possession of a valid South African residency permit.
- Strict rules apply for importing your car or motorbike from overseas. Temporary residents have to pay import duty on motor vehicles if they are imported for more than 12 months.
- Pets are subject to strict import and quarantine regulations, depending on the animal. It is recommended to approach a registered pet transfer company, such as Global Paws, Animal Travel or Pet Transport.
- When you move to South Africa you need to have a valid visa or permit.
- Various kinds of permits are available for foreign citizens who wish to live and work in the country.
- Applications for new permits need to be applied for at any South African diplomatic representative office or nearby foreign mission. Only extensions and changes within the same visa category can be effected within the country.
- Always make sure to have a valid permit and remember that you need to be in possession of a valid work permit when you take up work. Be advised that there are no work seeker's permits available in South Africa.
- When moving with children you also will need to apply for a study permit for your child, as soon as they go to preschool or school, regardless if it's a private or public school.
- Consider the lengthy application process and apply as early as possible for the respective visas.
To make your move less stressful, we have listed the various steps you have to consider when moving to South Africa. Keep cool, this listing is uploaded soon.
Subscribe to our Newsletter here. It's free!
Return form Immigration to South Africa to ExpatCapeTown Homepage
Image Credit Immigration to South Africa: www.shutterstock.com
Jan 12, 17 05:56 AM
SAYes offers volunteering opportunities in Cape Town. Become a SA Yes volunteer mentor, be inspired while giving a young person (aged between 14 and 25) a better start in life.
Dec 30, 16 05:46 AM
The best places to celebrate Cape Town New Years Eve, read where the NYE is celebrated in style and with lots of fun.
Dec 14, 16 10:31 AM
On our moving list you will find all the information you need for settling in Cape Town. Find detailed information where to register and apply for essential services when you move home