Our South Africa festivals listing will provide a basic events calendar with a listing of some of the best events in South Africa for every month. For more comprehensive listing go to this page.
In South Africa you will find so many attractions, festivals and events worth a visit. There are so many events that I can not list all of them in my calendar, but I will include the most important dates to remember and try to choose the best events for each month.
This is a tough choice, however I am sure you like my listing which limits your search and you will know which one of the events are a real must go and see.
Click on the events to get more info about what’s on at these annual South Africa festivals:
• January: New Year’s Day (Public Holiday countrywide), Minstrel Carnival (Cape Town), J&B Met Horse Race Festival (Cape Town), Marula Festival (Phalaborwa)
• February: Dusi Canoe Marathon (Durban/KZN), Design Indaba (Cape Town), Harvest Festivals (Stellenbosch and Robertson)
• April: Easter (Public Holiday countrywide), KKNK Klein Karoo Kunstefees (Oudtshoorn), Tulbagh goes Dutch (Tulbagh), Scifest (Grahamstown), Two Oceans Marathon (Cape Town), SA Cheese Festival (Stellenbosch), Decorex (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg), Freedom Day (Public Holiday countrywide)
• May: Workers’ Day (Public Holiday countrywide), Olive Festival (Ribeek Casteel), Pink Loerie Mardi Gras (Knysna), Franschhoek Literary Festival, (Franschhoek), Taste of Cape Town Culinary Arts Festival (Cape Town), The Royal Show (Durban)
• July: Oyster Festival (Knysna), Durban July Horse Race (Durban), Nelson Mandela Day (countrywide), International Film Festival (Durban), America Day Celebrations (Cape Town, Johannesburg), Bastille Day French Festival (Franschhoek)
• August: Women’s Day (Public Holiday countrywide), Oppi Koppi Bushveld Festival (Northam), Fashion Week (Cape Town), Comedy Festival (Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban), Joy of Jazz Festival (Johannesburg), National Boat Show (Johannesburg), Slow Festival (Robertson), Wildflower Festival (Clanwilliam)
• September: Whale Festival (Hermanus) , Arts Alive Festival (Johannesburg), Heritage Day ('Braai Day' – Public Holiday countrywide), Woodstock Music Festival (Haartbeeshoek), Awesome Africa Musicfestival (Midmar Dam), Boat Show (Cape Town)
• October: Rocking the Daisies Music and Lifestyle Festival (Darling), Beer Festivals (countrywide), International Motor Show (Johannesburg), Bandana Day (nationwide), International Kite Festival (Muizenberg)
• December: Festival of Lights (George), Mother City Queer Project (Cape Town), Summer Festival at Spier (Stellenbosch), Day of Reconciliation (Public Holiday nationwide), Christmas (Public Holiday countrywide), End of Year Celebrations and Fireworks
For a comprehensive monthly listing of the biggest festivals and events happening in South Africa, go to our partner site
Do you know of an event in South Africa which we have overlooked and should definitely add and mention in our South Africa festivals guide?
Please contact us and share your info. Thanks a lot for your help.
If you are looking for tickets for South Africa festivals and South Africa events, please refer to Computicket website: www.computicket.com, where you can find more info on events in Cape Town.
Have you already signed up for ExpatCapeTown Newsletter with lots of great Cape Town Insider Tips?
It is easy, you can do it right here and you will receive automatically ExpatCapeTown's newsletter.