Why Cape Town ?
Best Destinations in the World
There are some questions we always get asked: Why Cape Town? What makes Cape Town stand out from all those splendid places around the world. What do we like about the Mother City of Africa? Let us start with the pure facts and most recent accolades the Mother City has achieved in the past years.
Cape Town is the 'Number 1 place to visit in 2014'
(New York Times, 2014)
In 2014 Cape Town hosts the African Cup of Nations Soccer Tournament and is World Design Capital, many exciting concerts and events are planned for this year. So it is no wonder more and more people are considering to travel or even live in one of the world's most beautiful cities: Cape Town.
Cape Town has a big drawcard: Stunning scenery, great lifestyle and the most friendly people. The easy pace of life and cosmopolitan mix of own culture attracts many people from around the world.
Cape Town is the 'Best City in the World'
(Telegraph Travel Avards, 2013)
The awesome Table Mountain range with the Twelve Apostles, the white sandy beaches and not to forget the vicinity of the Cape winelands also come up first when you ask anybody about what makes Cape Town so attractive for travel.
Why Cape Town?
Tourists and business travelers love to visit Cape Town and call this vibrant city one of the most favorite travel destinations in the world. Be assured some of these accolades will blow you away.
- Cape Town is the Best City in the World according to the Telegraph Travel Awards. Read more.
- In the Tripadvisor Travelers' Choice Awards, Cape Town has been named as one of the 25 best destinations in the world, ranking 16th. And the majestic Cape Grace Hotel at the V&A Waterfront is the second best hotel in the world. Read more.
- Cape Town's Boulders Beach was named in the Tripadvisor Travelers' Choice Awards as one of the 10 truly unique beaches in the World.
Read here what makes Boulders Beach so special.
- Cape Town South Africa is voted the Top City in Africa in the Travel and Leisure survey and 4th best city in the world! Read more.
- CNN World calls Cape Town one of the ten most loved cities in the World. Read more.
- Table Mountain was elected one of the New7Wonders of Nature
- Two of the three best city hotels in Africa and the Middle East are in Cape Town, according to Travel and Leisure Awards: The One & Only at the Cape Town Waterfront and The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa near Camps Bay.
- Muizenberg near Cape Town is one of the 20 best surf towns according to National Geographic. Read more.
- Cape Town was named in the Tripadvisor Travelers' Choice Awards as the Best Destination in the World. The award is based on reviews of more than 20 million users reviewing destinations and hotels around the world. Read more.
- In National Geographic Magazine as well as in the Lonely Planet Awards, Cape Town South Africa is listed No. 2 of Top 10 Beach Cities in the World.
- In the World Travel Awards, Cape Town is considered to be one of the top destinations for business travelers.
- Cape Town was the winner in the category 'Africa's Leading Destination' at the World Travel Awards with the Westin Grand Cape Town was voted the best meetings and conference hotel in Africa in 2010. Read more.
- Cape Town’s International Conference Center (CTICC) was during 2010-2012 one of the finalists in the category: world's best overseas conference centers in the M&IT (meetings & incentive travel) Industry Awards 2010
- National Geographic even added the Mother City to their listing of the 'Places of a Lifetime'.
- In November 2008, the readers of the UK Daily and Sunday Telegraph voted Cape Town as one of the favorite cities in the world.
Why Cape Town for Expats?
These are all great reasons to consider Cape Town not only for travel, but also for your next expat assignment. Even if as an expatriate you will not only enjoy the sweet life of a tourist, you will have to deal with the facts of work in an African country. So many questions regarding the quality of live of your expat destination will pop up.
Go on and read about the best reasons why Cape Town is the best place for expat living here, find the newest ratings by expats and links to some of the most recent expat surveys.
- In the Mercer Study 2012 put Cape Town on 88th place regarding the quality of life for expatriates and their families. The cost of living is low compared to many cities in the world. According to the Mercer Survey Cape Town ranks at 179 out of 214 major cities around the world. Read more.
- In the HSBC Expat Survey 2012, South Africa ranks 3rd in overall expat experience. Read more.
- In 2010 the Mercer Study Eco-City Listing Cape Town ranked 30th ahead of Johannesburg, Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Read more.
- In 2006 Cape Town was voted one of the top 20 expat destinations worldwide by fDi (Foreign Direct Investment) and I am sure many expats still would support this ranking.
Best Place for Expat Living
To tell you my reasons why Cape Town is one great destination for expats I had to make up my mind to limit the huge choice down to only ten good reasons. And trust me there are loads of more good reasons. Here the final choices we have come up with:
- Beautiful scenery and attractions: mountains, winelands and great sandy beaches
- Expat Lifestyle is outdoors oriented which is great for walkers, hikers, surfers…and the whole family loves it
- Mild Mediterranean climate with blue skies and lots of sunshine
- Going out is affordable again, even for the big family. There is the most delicious foodavailable in the amazing Cape Town restaurants.
- Low cost of living compared to many other expat destinations with great housing options(swimming pool, big gardens, sea view etc.) also at affordable prices
- Big potential for business expansions in the emerging markets
- Due to European influence the business customs and etiquette are similar
- First class health care in the private sector
- Good school options for the kids
- The South African people are open and very caring and welcoming
Return from Why Cape Town to ExpatCapeTown Homepage
Image Credits for Why Cape Town: own images and shutterstock images