These Cape Town events in April will fascinate you! Here you will find our events calendar with a listing of some of the best Cape Town events for April 2017.
April is a month when there are plenty of holidays, as there are three public holidays coming soon. Easter is not only celebrated by the Christians in Cape Town, but also the community opens its heart with a variety of community drives. Friday 14 April is Good Friday, Monday 17 April is Easter Monday, in South Africa called 'Family Day' and is a public holiday. Thursday, 27 April, is another public holiday 'Freedom Day'.
Enjoy the long weekends and take long walks on the stunning beaches in Cape Town. In April, we often have the first colder nights and the Cape Town weather can change quite fast during autumn in South Africa. Now you can experience four seasons in a day, as the Capetonians say.
There are many great events happening in the Mother City in April, as you will see when you take a closer look at the events calendar below.
• Cape Town, Theatre on the Bay: Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat. 17 February 2017 - 8 April 2017. Popular musical and show for the whole family. Tickets: From R195. More info.
• Cape Town, Barnyard Theatre: 20th Century Countdown. 8 March 2017 - 16 April 2017. Greatest hits of the last century from Elvis to Robbie Williams. Tickets: From R110. More info.
• Cape Town, CTICC: Cape Town International Jazz Festival. 31 March and 1 April 2017. Performances by internationally acclaimed jazz stars. Tickets from R70. More info.
• Cape Town, various locations: Infecting the City Festival. 5 - 8 April 2017. Various concerts, installations, events and projects as well as a forum for pan-African cultural and social exchange. More info.
• Cape Town CTICC: Property Buyer Show. 8 - 9 April 2017. For first time buyers and property investors. Tickets: R80. More info.
• Cape Town, CTICC: World Travel Market. 18 - 21 April 2017. Travel trade show. More info.
• Cape Town, City Hall: Autumn Symphony Season. 6, 13, 20 April 2017. Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra. Tickets from R90. More info.
• Cape Town, Theatre on the Bay: Hamlet - Prince of Denmark. 12 - 29 April 2017. Shakespeare's play with 6 actors taking inspiration from one of the earliest performances of Shakespeare's famous play. Tickets: From R100. More info.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Tartuffe. 19 - 29 April 2017. Moliere's famous play brought to South Africa in collaboration with the Alliance Francaise. Tickets: R140. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Priscilla - Queen of the Desert. 26 March 2017 - 23 April 2017. Musical journey of three drag artists searching for love and friendship. Tickets from R200. More info.
• Cape Town CTICC: Decorex. 27 - 30 April 2017. Leading décor and design exhibitions comes to Cape Town for the annual exibition. Tickets: tbc, available at the door. More info.
• Cape Town, Camps Bay: Craft Beer on the Lawns. 30 April 2017. Craft beer festival at the Roundhouse Restaurant in Camps Bay with beer, live music and food. Tickets: R300. More info.
• Stellenbosch: Cape Getaway Show. 31 March - 2 April 2017. Annual travel show and festival for adventure lovers will take place at Lourensford Wine Estate. You need to get your tickets beforehand on their website as there are NO tickets at the gate. Tickets: R150. More info.
• Stellenbosch: Pinotage and Biltong Festival. 22 -23 April 2017. Wine from several South African wine estates and biltong at its best. Visit the fair at L'Avenir Wine Estate to enjoy this treat. Tickets: R200.
• Sandringham, Stellenbosch: SA Cheese Festival. 28 - 30 April 2017. This annual festival for cheese lovers will take place at Agri-Expo's Farm in Sandringham between Cape Town and Paarl. You need to get your tickets beforehand on their website as there are NO tickets at the gate. Tickets: R160. More info.
As April is a month with various school holidays, you will find that there are many great events happening in the city for your children and teenagers.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: The Tale of Peter Rabbit. 1 - 13 April 2017. Celebrating Beatrix Potter's famous children's tale. Tickets from R80. More info.
If you want to know about the best free activities for you and your family when in Cape Town, see our top 10 listing for free family-friendly activities here.
Do you know of any other Cape Town events in April which are worth adding here? Please contact me and share your info. Other expatriates in Cape Town will be grateful to hear about a lecture, see a play or listen to music from their home countries too. Thanks a lot for your help.
If you are looking for tickets for other Cape Town events in April, please refer to Computicket website: www.computicket.co.za, where you can find more info on events in Cape Town.
Image Credits on Cape Town Events in April: ExpatCapeTown.com