Are you looking for great events in December? Then have a good look at our events calendar for Cape Town and the Cape Winelands and see what’s on in Cape Town this month. You will find many exciting events happening in the Mother City in December, and we are sure you will love to join in the seasons festivities. Have you ever Christmas in summer? If not, this is quite an experience! Christmas at the beach and Santa with dancing shoes and the Cape carnival around the corner.
Remember, there are several public holidays in December: 16 December is Day of Reconciliation, 25 and 26 December are Christmas holidays and in 2017, due to the 25th falling on a Monday and the 26th on a Tuesday, we will all enjoy an extra long weekend. Read more about public holidays in South Africa here.
December is among our favourite times in Cape Town and the cheerful and happy atmosphere at the many colourful festivals and events in and around Cape Tonw is something we do not want to miss. Let's start with the festival season specials. The atmosphere of the festive season in South Africa is very much captured at the many outdoors Christmas markets and Christmas concerts.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Volvo Ocean Race Village. 24 November until 10 December 2017. At the Waterfront. Pro-Am Race 7 December 2017. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Ocean Film Festival. 29 November until 1 December 2017. At SterKinekor Victoria Wharf. Tickets: R55
• Cape Town, Greenpoint: 8th Cape Town Beer Fest. 1 December 2017 at Hamilton's. Tickets: From R50. More info.
• Cape Town, Clifton 4th Beach: Wavescape Film Sceening. 2 December 2017. More info.
• Franschhoek: Cap Classique & Champagne Festival. 2 - 3 December 2017 at the Huguenot Monument. Tickets: R375. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Community Chest Twilight Festival. 5 December 2017. Support local charities and have lots of fun dressing up at the 5k fun walk/run/skate. Tickets: R40. More info.
• Cape Town, Gardens: Wavescape Film Festival. 7 - 10 December 2017 at the Labia Theatre. More info.
• Stellenbosch: Festival of White Lights. 8 December 2017 at the Spier Wine Estate. Tickets: R165. More info.
• Cape Town, Green Point: Cape Town Rugby Sevens. 9 - 10 December 2017 at the Cape Town Stadium. Tickets: at computicket
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Zip Zap Circus. 15 - 20 December 2017. Performances at the Amphitheatre. Free entrance.
• Cape Town, Kirstenbosch Gardens: Summer Concert Series. Throughout December 2017. See some of South Africa's greatest rock bands. Tickets: From R180 for adults. More info.
December is the perfect time at the Cape. Not only expats know that, also South Africans from all over the country flock to the famous beach resorts such as Camps Bay, Muizenberg and Blouberg to enjoy summer, sand and sea.
There are fun events happening all over town and in the near Cape Winelands to enjoy the holidays and of course, the festive season. Just know that the shopping centres the last days before Christmas as parking gets crazy and you will hit queue almost everywhere. Be aware that at the more popular city beaches you will struggle to find much quiet, as they will be brimming full with locals and tourists. Finding parking can be a nightmare so bring patience and goodwill and then you will find a vibrant atmosphere with lots of smiles. So enjoy the great Cape Town events in December, visit the beautiful beaches and the fabulous Cape Winelands and have a wonderful festive season in Cape Town.
December is the a great time to enjoy the freshest fruits, so plan to go strawberry and cherry picking and to harvest tasty blueberries and apricots which are in season now too. The fresh local fruits and veggies will make for a very special and delicious Christmas feast if you are used to celebrating the holidays in the colder climates. Read more about the South African food in season and where to get it.
More info on events in Cape Town in December can be found on the Computicket website: www.computicket.com or www.webtickets.co.za, where you can find more info on location and pricing and can make your bookings. For more events in December all over South Africa, see our special page here.