Cape Malay Samoosas
Recipe by Gamidah of Lekka Kombuis
These Cape Malay Samoosas will make a lekker snack for your next dinner party or a great starter, they are easy to make and such a treat!
Cape Malay Samoosas - Recipe Ingredients
- Frozen samoosa sheets(available at most supermarkets in Cape Town) which you will have to defrost before starting to make your samoosas
- cheddar cheese, onions, BBQ spice or curry powder
For the vegetarian samoosa filling you will need:
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 tsp BBQ spice
Mix these three ingredients. Make a flour-water mix in a bowl. This will serve as 'glue' when packing the samoosas with filling. Now the fun part starts, Gamidah showed us all the tricks to get a perfectly shaped triangular samoosa. :-)
This is how you fold them:
- Fold one end of the pastry sheet over the other diagonally to form a triangle
- Loosen the triangle slightly and build a small cone overlapping a bit
- In the cone shaped opening add some of the samoosa filling and fold up in triangular shape again and again tightly
- Fasten the last bit of the sheet with a little bit of (flour and water-mix) "glue" to get a tight triangular samoosa.
If this sounds too complicated, well I just can advise to book a class with Gamidah. Once you have seen Gamidah doing hers and tried to fold up some of your own with her help it is not difficult at all!
Have fun and enjoy! Hmmmmm - So lekker!
Experience Bo-Kaap at its best and learn cooking with Gamidah
If you want to experience the wonderful Cape Malay hospitality and learn a bit more about the historic Cape Malay Quarter in Cape Town, book the excellent BoKaap Tour Pam McOnie offers with her tailor-made Cape Fusion Tours. To learn more about Pam's Bo-Kaap Tour, read what you can explore when you visit the brightly colored Cape Town suburb with her. Read our review of Gamidah's cooking class here.
Image Credits: Samoosas by AnkevanWyk/Bokaap Street by Shutterstock
Subscribe to our ExpatCapeTown newsletter. It's free!
Aug 02, 17 03:29 AM
Your Expat Guide to the Best Cape Town Events in August 2017 with information and links to the event organizers.
Aug 01, 17 05:15 AM
Our Cape Town Wildflowers guide 2017 shows you where to admire great wildflower displays and tells you about the most popular wildflower festivals of the Western Cape.
Jul 20, 17 10:41 AM
Read our Expat Interview with Francesca, an Italian living in Cape Town here.