Looking for great events in July and what to do and see in Cape Town this winter? Here you will find lots of tips and info on great events in the Mother City. The South African winter school holidays are around the corner, and there are many great music shows and dance and arts festivals taking place in July in the Mother City.
Then there are also all those great South African festivals a bit further out of town but still so worth the travels, such as for visiting the splendid Oyster Festival in Knysna or Franschhoek's Bastille Day Celebrations. And if you ever wondered if there is snow in Cape Town, I can tell you that there may be no snow in the city, due to its seaside location, it can still feel quite chilly and you can see snow on the higher grounds near Cape Town especially around Ceres and the Overberg Region. So if you long for your kids to be able to touch some real snow, take them out to Matroosberg and let them enjoy the white wonder. Or take them to the ice rink at Grand West or the tiny one which is usually set up at the V&A Waterfront.
So take a look at our listing of great events in Cape Town and enjoy!
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Jive Cape Town Funny Festival. 1 - 28 July 2019. Annual Festival with South Africa's best comedians and many international highlights. Tickets: From R170. More info.
• Cape Town, CTICC: Good Food and Wine Show. 1 - 3 July 2019. (tbc) Enjoy watching the most talented chefs in action. More info.
• Cape Town, Durbanville: 101 Hits. Until 4 August 2019. Musical production and dinner venue at the Barnyard Theatre. Tickets: R165. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Ignite. 2 - 3 July 2019. Youth dance performances under the leadership of His Kingdom Dance School with many outstanding young talents. Tickets: R130. More info.
• Cape Town, Grand West: Cape Town Wine Show. 11 - 13 July 2019. The TOPS at SPAR wine festival. Tickets: From R185. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Nelson Mandela Day 2019. 18 July 2019. Join the 67 minutes activities to celebrate the 101th birhtday of Nelson Mandela. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: South Pacific - Cape Town. 20 July - 10 August 2019. Musical with the Cape Town philharmonic orchestra. Tickets: From R140. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Amaranth. 22 June - 7 July 2019. Cape Town City Ballet performance. Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Camps Bay, Theatre on the Bay: Here is to You! - Simon and Garfunkel. 31 July 2019 - 17 August 2019. Musical journey with more than 20 classical hits. Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Grahamstown: National Arts Festival. 27 June - 7 July 2019. The country's biggest arts festival takes place annually in the Eastern Cape. More info.
• Stellenbosch: International Chamber Music Festival. 5 - 14 July 2019. More than 300 participants in 30 concerts. Tickets: From R100. More info.
• Velddrif: Berg River Winter Carnival: 6 July 2019. Entertainment for the whole family. More info.
• Cape Town, Grand West: Disney on Ice - Magical Ice Festival. 10 - 14 July 2019. Your favourite Disney moments come alive. Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Somerset West, The Playhouse: Fiddler on the Roof. 26 July - 3 August 2019. Parel Valley High School performance at The Playhouse theatre. Tickets: From R110. More info.
There are many great childrens shows, kids activities and holiday clubs during the Winter School Holidays in the Western Cape which are from 14 June 2019 until 9 July 2019. Remember that private schools might close or start again at different dates.
• Cape Town, American Society of South Africa: America Day Celebrations: 4 July 2019. American Independence Celebrations. Get in touch with Americans in Cape Town and contact the American Society of South Africa (ASSA) for more info.
• Franschhoek: Bastille Day Celebrations. 13 - 14 July 2019. Indulge in French food and wine and enjoy the parade and many activities for the whole family. More info.
Any other events in Cape Town we should add here? Please contact us and share your info. Other expatriates in Cape Town will be grateful to hear a lecture, see a play or listen to music from their home countries too. Thanks a lot for your help:)
More info on Cape Town events in July can be found on the various event organisers websites such as www.quicket.co.za, where you can find more info on location and pricing and can make your bookings.