Looking for great events in July and what to do and see in Cape Town this winter? Here you will find lots of tips and info on great events in the Mother City. The South African winter school holidays are around the corner, and there are many great music shows and dance and arts festivals taking place in July in the Mother City.
Then there are also all those great South African festivals a bit further out of town but still so worth the travels, such as for visiting the splendid Oyster Festival in Knysna or Franschhoek's Bastille Day Celebrations. And if you ever wondered if there is snow in Cape Town, I can tell you that there may be no snow in the city, due to its seaside location, it can still feel quite chilly and you can see snow on the higher grounds near Cape Town especially around Ceres and the Overberg Region. So if you long for your kids to be able to touch some real snow, take them out to Matroosberg and let them enjoy the white wonder. Or take them to the ice rink at Grand West or the tiny one which is currently set up at the V&A Waterfront.
So take a look at our listing of great events in Cape Town and enjoy!
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Satin to Sequings - More than a Minstrel. 28 June -14 July 2018. Funny and festive production presented in English and Afrikaans. Tickets: R150. More info.
• Gordons Bay: Winterwonderland. 29 June - 1 July 2018 and 6 - 8 July 2018. Enjoy 'Christmas' in July in the Western Cape at the Gordon's Bay festival of lights and carnival weekends. More info.
• Cape Town, CTICC: International Congress of Linguists. 2 - 6 July 2018. More info.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: The Year of Magical Thinking. 3 - 28 July 2018. Acclaimed drama starring Dorothy Ann Gould. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Urinetown - The Musical. 4 - 14 July 2018. Comedy musical and award winning satire inspired by Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weil brought to life on the South African stage. Tickets: R150. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Borne Frees 2018 - Freedom to Dream. 4 - 5 July 2018. Youth dance performances under the leadership of New World Dance Theatre with more than 100 young talents. Tickets: R50. More info.
• Cape Town, Royal Yacht Club: Lipton Cup Challenge. 6 July 2018. Enjoy watching the races in Table Bay. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Giselle. 6 - 15 July 2018. Cape Town City Ballet with guest artist Ksenia Ovsyanick of the Berlin State Ballet. Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Jive Cape Town Funny Festival. 9 July 2018 - 5 August 2018. Annual Festival with South Africa's best comedians and many international highlights. Tickets: From R170. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Nelson Mandela Day 2018. 18 July 2018. To celebrate the 100th centenary of Nelson Mandela's birthday, a new artwork will be unveiled at City Hall. Tbc.
• Cape Town, Lookout Hill: Khayelitsha Wine Show. 27 - 28 July 2018 at the Lookout Hill in Khayelitsha. Tickets: R100 including entrance and tastings. Tickets at Computicket.
• Cape Town events in July: V & A Waterfront: Battle of the Bands. Every Tuesday evening in July 2018 at Quay 4. More info.
• Knysna: Oyster Festival: 29 June to 8 July 2018. Oysters, oysters, oysters and lots of great entertainment, sports events, competitions and fun for young and old. More info.
• Grahamstown: National Arts Festival. 28 June - 8 July 2018. The country's biggest arts festival takes place annually in the Eastern Cape. More info.
• Velddrif: Berg River Winter Carnival: 14 July 2018. Entertainment for the whole family. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Noddy. 23 June - 7 July 2018. All time family favourite, especially for the little ones. Tickets: R90. More info.
• Cape Town, Newlands: Winter Wonders at Kirstenbosch. 23 June - 16 July 2018. Winter holiday programme for children. Free entrance to the Botanic Gardens for all children under 17 years. More info.
• Cape Town, Century City: Alice in Wonderland. 23 June - 15 July 2018. Theatre performance for kids at Canal Walk shopping centre. Tickets: at computicket.
• Cape Town, Newlands: The Frozen Experience. 4 - 14 July 2018. After sold-out performances the show now finally comes to Cape Town's Nassau Theatre. Tickets: R80. More info.
• Cape Town, Grand West: Disney on Ice - Dream Big. 11 - 15 July 2018. Your favourite Disney moments come alive. Tickets: From R150. More info.
There are so many great childrens shows, kids activities and holiday clubs during the Winter School Holidays in the Western Cape which are from 23 June 2018 until 16 July 2018. Remember that private schools might close or start again at different dates.
• Cape Town, American Society of South Africa: America Day Celebrations: 4 July 2018. American Independence Celebrations. Get in touch with Americans in Cape Town and contact the American Society of South Africa (ASSA) for more info.
• Franschhoek: Bastille Day Celebrations. 14 - 15 July 2018. Indulge in French food and wine and enjoy the parade and many activities for the whole family. Cost: From R280. More info.
Any other events in Cape Town we should add here? Please contact us and share your info. Other expatriates in Cape Town will be grateful to hear a lecture, see a play or listen to music from their home countries too. Thanks a lot for your help:)
More info on Cape Town events in July can be found on the various event organisers websites such as www.quicket.co.za, where you can find more info on location and pricing and can make your bookings.