Are you looking for great Cape Town Kids Activities for the upcoming summer school holidays? South Africa's summer holidays are just around the corner as (most) schools all over South Africa will be on holiday break from 12 December 2018 until 9 January 2019. Be aware that private schools might have different holiday times and opening dates, some schools already break up earlier or later! So make sure to check your children's school calendar and check common official closure times here.
On ExpatCapeTown, you will find here some great Cape Town kids activities to keep you little ones and your teenagers busy and happy when spending the school holidays in Mother City this winter.
In ExpatCapeTown's guide to the school holidays, you will find out:
There are loads of Cape Town kids activities on offer in and around the Mother City besides the usual great attractions like going to Two Oceans aquarium at the V&A Waterfront, visiting the Bird Park in Hout Bay or swimming with the African Penguins in Simonstown or the many fabulous Cape Town museums where your kids will be entertained and where your children will gain also some wonderful new insights or can test their talents. Or you might want to give them some play time and have some hours for yourself.
And if are in Cape Town 'only' for a holiday? Then you might be happy to have a day to yourself for visiting some of Cape Town's best attractions without having the kids moan. There are many fun events planned! Simply enjoy your Cape Town shopping without feeling guilty, because your kids will have a great time mingling with other kids and making new friends. Here are some of the best kids activities you can find in Cape Town.
• Cape Town, Woodstock: Edro Robotics Workshops. School Holiday activities for kids of three age groups (from Grade 1-3, 4-6 and 7-10). One-day and two-day workshops in robotics and coding for kids, juniors and teens. Cost: around 350/400 per day. More info.
• Cape Town, Woodstock: Science Centre. School Holiday activities tbc. For kids of various age groups. Sports Science shows, science skills competitions, sports tournament and much more. More info.
• Cape Town, Claremont: School of Rock. Music camps and workshops for preschoolers, kids and teens. More info.
• Cape Town, Paarden Island: CityRock. Climbing lessons and workshops for kids and teens (5-14 years). Cost per 6hrs course: R640. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Iziko Museums. School Holiday shows at the Planetarium go with weekend schedule. Various age groups. And do not forget the open day at Iziko museums with free entry on public holidays, such as Day of Reconciliation on 16 December 2018. More info.
• Cape Town, Grand West: Iceskating and Disco Night Fever on Ice at the Ice Station. School Holidays with many extra public skating sessions. Costs: Regular entrance fees apply. From R35 (skate rental extra from R40) Mini ice rink for children under five. More info.
• Cape Town, Grand West: Magic Bowling. 12 lanes of Ten-pin bowling fun. Costs: Regular entrance fees apply.
• Cape Town, Muizenberg: Playtime at Planet Kids. 13 December 2018 to 6 January 2019. Great place for kids and drop-off from 2 years. Playtime from R40 per hour. Popular party venue. More info.
• Cape Town, Tokai: Felt Workshops and Artist Lead Workshops. At the Norval Foundation. Various dates in December 2018 and January 2019. From R250. More info.
• Please take note: Cape Town, Century City: Ratanga Junction Fun Park has closed down.
• Cape Town: Downhill Adventures 2018/2019. Adventure activities with action packed adventure programs, half and full-day kids party adventures and day trips. How about taking the kids for sand boarding, stand-up paddling or surfing lessons in Cape Town this holiday or have a fun day with a quad biking and sand boarding combo in the Atlantis dunes, just north of Cape Town? More info.
• Cape Town, various suburbs: Sporting Chance: Cricket, Soccer, Hockey and Multisport Workshops. Sports Clinics are held on various dates in Bellville, Constantia and Newlands during the spring school holidays for children from ages 6 - 13. Rates: R200/morning session, depending on sports activity and age of the child. Enquire directly and please mention you heard from us. More info.
• Cape Town, Newlands: Helen O'Grady Drama Academy. Drama Classes for children from ages 5 - 18 years. Enquire with the academy about your nearest branch and book your holiday programme now! More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Matilda - The Musical. 11 December 2018 - 13 January 2019. Much loved story by Roald Dahl - for the whole family. Tickets: From R100. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. 12 - 22 December 2018 at 10h30. One hour performance for kids. Tickets: R90. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: The Little Mermaid. 14 December 2018 - 6 January 2019. Family entertainment at its best. Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Cape Town, Newlands: The Elves & the Shoemaker. 17 - 22 December 2018. Popular children's show comes to Cape Town's Nassau Theatre. Tickets: R85. More info.
• Cape Town, Greenpoint: Open Air Cinema: Enchanted. 16 December 2018 at the Kelvin Grove Club. Tickets: From R89. More info.
• Cape Town, Kirstenbosch: Open Air Cinema: Mrs Doubtfire. 19 December 2018 at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. Tickets: From R89. More info.
• Cape Town, Century City: Ice Slide World. Until 13 January 2019. For kids from 5 years, teens and parents at Canal Walk shopping centre. Tickets: From R35 (45 mins sessions) at computicket.
• Cape Town, Northern Suburbs: Summer Glice Rink. Until 13 January at Capegate Shopping centre. For kids from 5 -13 years. Entry fee: R50 per 40mins on the mini artificial Glice rink. More info.
• Somerset West: Dinos Alive. Until 9 January at Somerset Mall. Exhibition for the whole family. Entry fee: R40 per child/parents are free.
• Cape Town, Claremont: Santa's Christmas Garden. 17 - 22 December 2018 at Cavendish Square. For Kids from 3 -12 years. Entry fee: R40.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Springbok 7's Signing and Interactive Session. 5 December 2018 at the Amphitheatre. And also visit the Springbok Experience Rugby Museum. Portswood House. Open 10h00 - 18h00 every day. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Magic of Christmas Show. 14 - 17 December 2018. Christmas show at the amphitheatre with music, songs and dance. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Stenin Photo Exhibition. Until February 2019. Tickets: Children under 16 Free! Discounts for Wildcard holders and senior citizens, regular entry R100. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Peppa Pig Live. 15 - 30 December 2018. For the whole family, at the amphitheatre. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Open Air Cinema: Alice in Wonderland. 21 December 2018 at Battery Park. Tickets: From R89. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Zip Zap Circus. 2 - 8 January 2019. For the whole family, at the amphitheatre. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Art Jamming Holiday Programme. Various dates for paint and art sessions and different age groups. More info.
Kids-Activities page - disclaimer: All dates, times and prices are subject to availability and can change. Call the event organizers if you have any questions and check for exact costs and times. Booking for most of these Cape Town kids activities and events is essential.
There is also great Cape Town kids activities and entertainment offered by the bigger shopping centers in Cape Town during school holiday times. In many Cape Town shopping malls you can leave your kids in a supervised area where they can enjoy painting, clay art, pantomime classes and many other great activities. Check for events in the best Cape Town shopping centers here.
Wishing you a fantastic time in Cape Town. Make sure to let us know about your experiences when you explore some of these fantastic Cape Town kids activities and excellent Cape Town holiday clubs and workshops. Best!