Are you looking for great Cape Town Kids Activities for the upcoming winter school holidays? South Africa's winter holidays are just around the corner. Schools all over South Africa are on holiday break the last week in September when the third school term ends, and public schools will be closed from 29 September until 8 October 2018. Be aware that private schools might have different holiday times and opening dates, some schools already break up earlier or later! So make sure to check your children's school calendar and check common official closure times here.
On ExpatCapeTown, you will find here some great Cape Town kids activities to keep you little ones and your teenagers busy and happy when spending the school holidays in Mother City this winter.
In ExpatCapeTown's guide to the school holidays, you will find out:
There are loads of Cape Town kids activities on offer in and around the Mother City besides the usual great attractions like going to the Bird Park in Hout Bay or watching the African Penguins in Simonstown or the many fabulous Cape Town museums where your kids will be entertained and where your children will gain also some wonderful new insights or can test their talents. Or you might want to give them some play time and have some hours for yourself.
And if are in Cape Town 'only' for a holiday? Then you might be happy to have a day to yourself for visiting some of Cape Town's best attractions without having the kids moan. There are many fun events planned! Simply enjoy your Cape Town shopping without feeling guilty, because your kids will have a great time mingling with other kids and making new friends. Here are some of the best kids activities you can find in Cape Town.
• Cape Town, Kirstenhof Primary and others around the Cape: Living Maths Space Tour 2018 - 16 September 2018. Before you start into the school holidays this spring, get the kids excited to explore our world. The Living Maths fun talks 'lectures' with astronaut Don Thomas are such a great opportunity to meet other families and an eye-opener for everybody. Tickets and Dates here or at quicket.
• Cape Town, Woodstock: Science Centre. School Holiday activities: 'Earthlings and Space Things' Programme 29 September to 8 October. For kids of various age groups. Sports Science shows, science skills competitions, sports tournament and much more. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Iziko Digital Dome. Spring school holiday workshop for children aged 5-11 years. TBC. Cost: R40. More here. And find the complete school holiday programme here.
• Cape Town, CBD: Iziko Museums. School Holiday shows at the Planetarium go with weekend schedule. Various age groups. Visit the new planetarium and Digital Dome at half price on Heritage Day. More here. And do not forget the open day at Iziko museums with free entry on Heritage Day 24 September.
• Cape Town, Grand West Ice Station: Iceskating and Disco Night Fever on Ice at the Ice Station. School Holidays with many extra public skating sessions. Check the weblink for more info. Costs: Regular entrance fees apply. From R35 (skate rental extra from R40) Mini ice rink session R25. Spectators R40. More info.
• Cape Town, Muizenberg: Playtime at Planetkids. Great place for kids and drop-off from 3 years, with drop off facility. Playtime from R40 per hour. Open Wednesdays to Sundays and during school holidays. Popular party venue. More info.
• Please take note: Cape Town, Century City: Ratanga Junction Fun Park has closed down.
• Cape Town: Downhill Adventures 2018. Adventure activities with action packed adventure programs, half and full-day kids party adventures and day trips. How about taking the kids for sand boarding, stand-up paddling or surfing lessons in Cape Town this holiday or have a fun day with a quad biking and sand boarding combo in the Atlantis dunes, just north of Cape Town? More info.
• Cape Town, various suburbs: Sporting Chance: Cricket, Soccer, Hockey and Multisport Workshops. 1 - 5 October 2018. Sports Clinics are held on various dates in Bellville, Constantia and Newlands during the spring school holidays for children from ages 6 - 13. Rates: R200/morning session, depending on sports activity and age of the child. Enquire directly and please mention you heard from us. More info.
• Cape Town, Newlands: Helen O'Grady Drama Academy. Drama Classes for children from ages 5 - 18 years. Enquire with the academy about your nearest branch and book your holiday programme now! More info.
• Cape Town, Century City: Kids World Craft Corner. 22 September 2018. Arts and crafts workshop for 4 -12 year olds at Canal Walk shopping centre. Tickets: R30 at computicket.
• Paarl: Let's Braam 2018. 23 September 2018. Family and friends picnic at Orleans Park with 10 bands and entertainment for the whole family. Tickets: R50 at computicket. More info.
• Cape Town, Newlands: The Three Little Pigs. 1 - 6 October 2018. Popular children's show comes to Cape Town's Nassau Theatre. Tickets: R80. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Cinderella. From 5 October 2018. For all aspiring ballerinas a must-see! Cape Town City Ballet with guest artist Ksenia Ovsyanick of the Berlin State Ballet. Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Cape Town, Newlands: Baxter Dance Festival. 6 October 2018 with youth dance companies from 17h00. Tickets: from 40. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Springbok Experience Rugby Museum. Portswood House. Open 10h00 - 18h00 every day. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: African Festival. 24 September 2018. For the whole family, at the amphitheatre. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: China Photography Exhibition. Tickets: Children under 16 Free! Discounts for Wildcard holders and senior citizens, regular entry R100. More info.
Kids-Activities page - disclaimer: All dates, times and prices are subject to availability and can change. Call the event organizers if you have any questions and check for exact costs and times. Booking for most of these Cape Town kids activities and events is essential.
There is also great Cape Town kids activities and entertainment offered by the bigger shopping centers in Cape Town during school holiday times. In many Cape Town shopping malls you can leave your kids in a supervised area where they can enjoy painting, clay art, pantomime classes and many other great activities. Check for events in the best Cape Town shopping centers here.
Wishing you a fantastic time in Cape Town. Make sure to let us know about your experiences when you explore some of these fantastic Cape Town kids activities and excellent Cape Town holiday clubs and workshops. Best!