Are you looking for great Cape Town Kids Activities for the upcoming Summer school holidays? South Africa's summer school holidays are just around the corner. Schools all over South Africa are on holiday break from the second week in December when the school year ends, and public schools will be closed from 7 December until 17 January 2018. Be aware that private schools might have different holiday times and opening dates, some schools already break up earlier or later! So make sure to check your children's school calendar and check common official closure times here.
On ExpatCapeTown, you will find here some great Cape Town kids activities to keep you little ones and your teenagers busy and happy when spending the school holidays in Mother City this Summer.
In ExpatCapeTown's guide to the school holidays, you will find out:
There are loads of Cape Town kids activities on offer in and around the Mother City besides the usual great attractions like going to the Bird Park in Hout Bay or watching the African Penguins in Simonstown or the many fabulous Cape Town museums where your kids will be entertained and where your children will gain also some wonderful new insights or can test their talents. Or you might want to give them some play time and have some hours for yourself.
And if are in Cape Town 'only' for a holiday? Then you might be happy to have a day to yourself for visiting some of Cape Town's best attractions without having the kids moan. There are many fun events planned! Simply enjoy your Cape Town shopping without feeling guilty, because your kids will have a great time mingling with other kids and making new friends. Here are some of the best kids activities you can find in Cape Town.
• Cape Town, Century City: Ratanga Junction Fun Park. Fun Days: 24 November 2017 - 16 January 2018. Open from 10am to 5pm everyday (closed only on Christmas Day 25 December). With more than 25 attractions with rides, roller coasters and shows this park provides fun entertainment for the whole family. Tickets: From R70 for a fun pass (no rides, but shows) up to R179 for an Adventurer Ticket/R95 for kids under 1.3m. Please double-check and find more info here.
• Cape Town, Grand West Ice Station: Iceskating and Disco Night Fever on Ice at the Ice Station. School Holidays with many extra public skating sessions. Check the weblink for more info. Costs: Regular entrance fees apply. From R35 (skate rental extra from R40) Mini ice rink session R25. Spectators R40. More info.
• Cape Town, Muizenberg: Playtime at Planetkids. Great place for kids and drop-off from 3 years, with drop off facility. Playtime from R35 per hour. Open Wednesdays to Sundays and during school holidays. Popular party venue. More info.
• Cape Town, Woodstock: Science Centre. School Holiday activities from 6 December 2017 - 16 January 2018. For kids of various age groups. Code Camp, Market Day, App Building and much more. Programme still to be published. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Iziko Museums. School Holiday shows at the Planetarium go with weekend schedule from beginning of December. Various age groups. Visit the new planetarium and Digital Dome. More here.
• Cape Town: Downhill Adventures 2017/2018. Adventure activities with action packed adventure programs, half and full-day kids party adventures and day trips. How about taking the kids for sand boarding, stand-up paddling or surfing lessons in Cape Town this holiday or have a fun day with a quad biking and sand boarding combo in the Atlantis dunes, just north of Cape Town? More info.
• Cape Town, various suburbs: Sporting Chance: Rugby, Cricket, Soccer, Hockey and Multisport Workshops. 11 - 15 December 2017 and 8 - 12 January 2018. Sports Clinics are held on various dates in Constantia, Newlands, Camps Bay, Durbanville/Bellville and Somerset West these summer holidays for children from ages 4 - 13. Rates from R150/day depending on sports activity and age of the child. Enquire directly and please mention you heard from us. More info.
• Cape Town, Newlands: Helen O'Grady Drama Academy. Drama Classes for children from ages 5 - 18 years. Enquire with the academy about your nearest branch and book your Summer holiday programme for December now! More info.
• Cape Town: Boot Camp - Holiday Programme (only in December 2017 - book now!) Lots of action packed adventures for kids from 7 - 14 years. Enquire for their current holiday programme and team building camps. More info and let them know you heard from us.
• Cape Town, Somerset West: Shrek - The Musical. Until 9 December 2017. Fairytale turned upside down at the Playhouse Theatre. More info.
• Cape Town, Bothasig: Cape Town Kids Expo. 9 - 10 December 2017. Family fun and 'Kids got Talent' Competition at the Abe Sher Sports Stadium. Tickets: From R40. More info.
• Cape Town, Kraaifontein: Bugz Playwark Birthday Bash. 9 December 2017. The largest playpark in the Western Cape, is marking their 10th birthday with an exclusive bash to celebrate the milestone of parties, play dates, and fun. For kids aged 2 – 10 years old. Book your tickets ahead! More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: The Frog Prince. 9 - 23 December 2017. Come along and help the Prince and Princess outwit the Witch. Tickets: R90. More info.
• Cape Town, Century City: Space Station. 7 December 2017 - 14 January 2018. At Canal Walk Shopping Centre. Tickets: From R40. More info.
• Cape Town, Athlone: Aladdin and the Magic Lamp. 8 - 10 December 2017. At Joseph Stone Auditorium. Tickets: From R100. More info.
• Cape Town, Newlands Nassau Theatre: Goldilocks and the Three Bears. 11 - 16 December 2017. Popular children's story. Tickets: R75. More info
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: The Nutcracker. 15 - 24 December 2017. Cape Town city ballet and its young cast perform the festive season family favourite. Tickets: From R120. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Cinderella on Ice. 10 - 28 January 2018. Ice show put together by world-famous iceskating champions and performed by the Imperial Ice Stars. Tickets: From R95. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Springbok Experience Rugby Museum. Portswood House. Open 10h00 - 18h00 every day. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Free Astronomy Outreach. Learn more about our fascinating universe. At the Pierdeck near the Swing bridge to the Clocktower on 23 December 2017. Free. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Magic of Christmas Show. 11 - 14 December 2017. At the Victoria Wharf. Free entry. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Zip Zap Circus. 14 - 19 December 2017. At the Amphitheatre every day at 16h00-17h00. Free entry.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Future Park. Until 31 December 2017. Playing in a digital universe at the Watershed/Jubilee Hall. Tickets: From R130. More info.
Kids-Activities page - disclaimer: All dates, times and prices are subject to availability and can change. Call the event organizers if you have any questions and check for exact costs and times. Booking for most of these Cape Town kids activities and events is essential.
There is also great Cape Town kids activities and entertainment offered by the bigger shopping centers in Cape Town during school holiday times. In many Cape Town shopping malls you can leave your kids in a supervised area where they can enjoy painting, clay art, pantomime classes and many other great activities. Check for events in the best Cape Town shopping centers here.
Wishing you a fantastic time in Cape Town. Make sure to let us know about your experiences when you explore some of these fantastic Cape Town kids activities and excellent Cape Town holiday clubs and workshops. Best!