Are you looking for great Cape Town Kids Activities these school holidays? Summer school holidays are just around the corner. Schools all over South Africa are on holiday break in December and January, and public schools will be closed from 8 December 2016 until 10 January 2017. Be aware that private schools might have different holiday times and opening dates, some schools already break up earlier or open only after mid January! So make sure to check your children's school calendar and check common official closure times here.
On ExpatCapeTown, you will find here some great Cape Town kids activities to keep you little ones and your teenagers busy and happy when spending the school holidays in Mother City.
In ExpatCapeTown's guide to the School Holidays, you will find out:
There are loads of Cape Town kids activities on offer in and around the Mother City besides the usual great attractions like going to the Bird Park in Hout Bay or watching the African Penguins in Simonstown or the many fabulous Cape Town museums where your kids will be entertained and where your children will gain also some wonderful new insights or can test their talents. Or you might want to give them some play time and have some hours for yourself.
And if are in Cape Town 'only' for a holiday? Then you might be happy to have a day to yourself for visiting some of Cape Town's best attractions without having the kids moan. Or simply you can go shopping without feeling guilty, because your kids will have a great time mingling with other kids and making new friends. Here are some of the best kids activities you can find in Cape Town.
• Cape Town, Century City: Ratanga Junction Fun Park. Fun Days 25 - 27 November 2016 and during school holidays from 2 December 2016 - 10 January 2017. Open from 10am to 5pm. With more than 25 attractions with rides, roller coasters and shows this park provides fun entertainment for the whole family. Tickets: From R70 for a fun pass (no rides, but shows) up to R179 for an Adventurer Ticket/R95 for kids under 1.3m. Please double-check and find more info here.
• Cape Town, Grand West Ice Station: Iceskating and Disco Night Fever on Ice at the Ice Station. School Holidays with many extra public skating sessions. Check the weblink for more info. Costs: Regular entrance fees apply. From R35 (skate rental extra from R40) Mini ice rink session R25. Spectators R40. More info.
• Cape Town, Muizenberg: Playtime at Planetkids. Great place for kids up to 13 years, with drop off facility. Playtime from R25/35 per hour. Open Wednesdays to Sundays and during school holidays. Popular party venue. More info.
• Cape Town, Woodstock: Science Centre. School Holiday activities from 7 December 2016 to 11 January 2017. For kids of various age groups. Programme still to be published. Enquire directly.
• Cape Town: Downhill Adventures 2016. Adventure activities with action packed adventure programs, half and full-day kids party adventures and day trips. How about taking the kids for sand boarding, stand-up paddling or surfing lessons in Cape Town this holiday or have a fun day with a quad biking and sand boarding combo in the Atlantis dunes, just north of Cape Town? More info.
• Cape Town, various suburbs: Sporting Chance: Rugby, Cricket, Soccer, Hockey and Multisport Workshops. 12 - 15 December 2016 and 4 - 6 January 2017. Sports Clinics are held on various dates in Constantia, Durbanville/Bellville, Somerset West, Camps Bay and Newlands for children from ages 4 - 13. Rates from R150/day depending on sports activity and age of the child. Enquire directly and mention you heard from us. More info.
• Cape Town, Newlands: Helen O'Grady Drama Academy. Drama Classes for children from ages 5 - 18 years. Enquire with the academy about your nearest branch and their holiday programme. More info.
• Cape Town: Boot Camp - Summer Camp 2016. Lots of action packed adventures for kids from 7 - 14 years. 4 day summer camp from 12 -1 5 December 2016. Costs: R2200. More info.
• Cape Town, Somerset West: Noddy Party. 1 - 10 December 2016 at Vergelegen Wine Estate. Children's fun with fundraising for a good cause. Tickets at the door or from Webticket.
• Cape Town, Century City: Ice Age. 2 December 2016 - 8 January 2017 at Canal Walk Shopping Centre. Ice slides and animal rides. Tickets at the mall or prebook at Computicket.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Oxford & Cambridge Dragon Boat Regatta. 3 December 2016. Family fun at the North Wharf at Cape Town's Waterfront precinct. Free entrance.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Annie. 2 December 2016 - 8 January 2017. Family Musical Show on the favourite children's character. Tickets: R500. Tickets at Computicket
• Cape Town, CBD: Community Chest Twilight Festival. 6 December 2016. Support local charities and have lots of fun dressing up. Tickets: R70. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. 8 - 23 December 2016. Morning show for the little ones. Tickets: Unreserved R80. More info.
• Cape Town, CBD: Peter Pan and Tinkerbelle. 16 December 2016 - 8 January 2017. Ballet adaptation of the popular story by Scottish novelist J.M. Barrie. At Artscape Theatre. Tickets: From R110. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Springbok Experience Rugby Museum. Portswood House. Open 10h00 - 18h00 every day. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: 1% - Privilege in a Time of Inequality. Thought-provoking exhibition at the Chavonnes Battery Museum. Highly recommended for children over 12 years. Until February 2017. Open 9h00 - 17h00 every day. Tickets: Tours R100/R50 children. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Ripley's Believe it - or not! Exhibition at the Clocktower - until April 2017. Tickets: From R150. More info.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Pump Track. 8 December 2016 - 10 January 2017. 10h30 - 17h00 at the Quays Deck. Tickets: R30.
• Cape Town, V&A Waterfront: Zip Zap Circus presents Upside Down Town. 12 - 20 December 2016. 16h00 to 17h00 at the amphitheatre. Free entry.
Kids-Activities page - disclaimer: All dates, times and prices are subject to availability and can change. Call the event organizers if you have any questions and check for exact costs and times. Booking for most of these events is essential.
There is also great Cape Town kids activities and entertainment offered by the bigger shopping centers in Cape Town during school holiday times. In many Cape Town shopping malls you can leave your kids in a supervised area where they can enjoy painting, clay art, pantomime classes and many other great activities. Check for events in the best Cape Town shopping centers here.
Wishing you a fantastic time in Cape Town. Make sure to let us know about your experiences when you explore some of these fantastic Cape Town kids activities and excellent Cape Town holiday clubs and workshops. Best!