Germans in Cape Town
All Things German - Part II
Welcome - Willkommen in Kapstadt! Germans in Cape Town and all who love German food and goodies will find many useful resources for staying in South Africa and enjoying German hospitality and the typical Gemütlichkeit. To go to All Things German - Part I - click here.
Germans love to celebrate and make friends and this can easily be done when you know where to meet people from 'home'.
On 9 November 2019 join the German community at the Cape Town Bierfest at the German school complete with market stalls German food, umpaah band and lots of tasty beer. There is also the Cape Town Festival of Beer from 29 November - 1 December 2019 which is taking place at Hamilton's Rugby Club in Greenpoint, next to the Cape Town Stadium. This is actually the largest festival of beer in the Southern hemisphere! More info.
Whether you want to catch up with local Germans in Cape Town or refresh you German, learn German, taste German specialties or just meet friendly people, the following German restaurants will always offer some real treats.
German Restaurants in Cape Town
- Kapstadt Brauhaus - a German restaurant is back again at the V&A Waterfront. The German restaurant offers traditional German dishes including the ever popular Eisbein and Schnitzel. See the menu on their website.
- Cafe Extrablatt located in Main Road in Green Point is famous for their lovely food, relaxed Saturday breakfast buffets and Sunday brunches. Website
- Roodehek Restaurant located in Gardens is also home to the German Club.
- Im Eimer is a typical German restaurant and beergarden, located in Somerset West. Bratwurst, Matjes Hering, Wiener Schnitzel and all things a German food lover wants or needs. Website
- Please note: Alpenstube in Hout Bay has closed down.
German Food and Shopping for Goodies
- German Grocer: in Milnerton's Racecourse Road inside the business park opposite Hirsch's, you will find the German grocer. They have a large variety of German foodstuffs (including frozen bread rolls and pretzels) and drinks as well as local meat and cheese products. Stock up here on your German christmas treats as well.
- German Grocer in 14 Mill Street in Oranjezicht, next to Gardens shopping centre, belongs to the same company.
- German Food Store in Somerset West, in 1 Myburgh Street, also offer a large variety of German food products.
- German Breadhouse, located in Koeberg Rd. Milnerton, formerly the popular LeBon Bakery still sells a wide variety of fabulous German bread, German rolls, brazils and some cakes. Make sure to call and order in advance if you want to buy larger quantities.
- Dinkel Bakery and Cafe is a well loved place located in Tamboerskloof and offers a wide range of breads and pastries and have 100% rye and spelt products as well.
- Foodlover's Market in Fruit & Veg City at Willowbridge Shopping Centre in Durbanville or in Sandown/Parklands also have a wide range of different German breads and brezels.
Should you - for a change - want to taste the freshest French baguette in Cape Town, make sure you read my findings about French boulangeries and more.
Germans in Cape Town | Meats and Sausages
German Butcheries can be found at:
- Hartlief Deli in the Gardens Shopping Centre is the place to go if you like German sausages, cold cuts and superb quality meat produce and other delicious things Germans love. They also offer a bakery selection with the most popular breads as sourdough and mixed rye breads. They have a good section of German delicatessen as matjes, fresh German cheeses, gherkins, preserves and sweets. The shop is located in Gardens Shopping Centre is very popular with locals and travelers. Especially at lunchtime there is always a crowd as there is always a huge selection of freshly prepared meals, like Bockwurst and Sauerkraut, Schweinebraten or Eisbein on offer. Hmmmm! They offer Take-aways and Catering too.
- High Constantia Farm Stall by Raith Gourmet is located in the High Constantia Center with a wide range of delicious German sausage and meat. Also with Bread and Delicatessen section.
- Eurolane Deli and Take-Away in Blaauwberg Rd. in Table View have got a wide range of Raith sausages, various German Bread and Brezels, homemade delicacies, such as Spätzle and other German on offer.
Germans in Cape Town | Delis | Delicatessen
You can fin German delicatessen, clothing and more at:
- Gardens Shopping Centre in Mill Street is always my first stop for German specialties. So if you are looking for something special always remember the German section at Hartlief Deli in Gardens.
- Eurolane in Somerset West, import German delicatessen from Germany. Find them in Firgrove at Fish Eagle Park Unit 7 between Monday and Friday from 9-18h. Ring the bell if the gate is closed.
- Frandale Imports aka German Grocer in Milnerton, have a wide range of imported German delicatessen. Find them in Sanlam Business Park. See more above.
- Treasures4U or TCM-Shops which sell the wide palette of the Tchibo products, with clothing and homeware ranges, have a shop at Paddocks Shopping Centre in Milnerton. Website
- The local supermarket chains, especially Spar in Somerset West and Stellenbosch as well as other Spar shops in various suburbs, and various Pick and Pay supermarkets offer a range of German food as Leibnitz biscuits, white asparagus in glass, gherkins, Eduscho Coffee and more.
For more resources for German Expats such as German education, immigation services, German church services and so on
Go to All Things German Part I
This information about Germans in Cape Town shall help you to orientate yourself when arriving as a newcomer in the Mother City. Should you miss some information in my list or like to share your secret about the Germans in Cape Town and German lifestyle, please contact me
Return from Germans in Cape Town to ExpatCapeTown