There are many exciting Cape Town events in January happening which you will love to join while living in the Mother City.
Start with celebrating the new year in 2016 in true Cape Town style with visiting the Mother City’s Minstrel Carnival. Colours abound and cheerfulness abound when the minstrel bands march through Cape Town’s city centre. Please take note that the carnivals date 5 January has been cancelled. We will keep you posted once we have a confirmed new date.
The Cape minstrel bands dressed in beautiful bright fancy costumes will march through the city centre and are cheered by their many fans, locals as well as tourists who will enjoy the festivities either along Adderley Street.
And there are many other great Cape Town events in January 2016! You can enjoy while visiting or living in Cape Town. And not to forget, visit Cape Town’s blue flag beaches. So enjoy summer time in Cape Town and have a fabulous start into 2016.
• Cape Town, City Center: Tweede Nuwe Jaar Minstrel Carnival. 2 January 2016. Popular march through the city starts at 12h00. This year the march is through the city center only and not through the BoKaap. Please be aware of the many street closures. More info.
• Cape Town, Grand West Casino Complex: Kings, Queens and Divas. Until 9 January 2015 at the Roxy Bar. Tickets: R90. More info. Booking at Computicket.
• Cape Town, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens: Kirstenbosch Summer Concerts. 3/10/17/24/31 January 2016. With Prime Circle, The Parlotones and others. Tickets: From R150. Concessions available. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Singin' in the Rain. Until 10 January 2016. With the acclaimed South African star cast. Tickets: From R100. More info.
• Cape Town, Kenilworth: L'Ormarins Queens Plate. 9 January 2016. General Access: From R300. Booking at Computicket or see more info here.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: This is Captain Lottering Speaking. Until 10 January 2015. Brand-new one man show with one of Cape Town's most loved comedians. Tickets: From R85. More info.
• Cape Town, Maynardville Open Air Theatre: Othello. 14 January 2016 until 23 February 2016. Shakespeare's masterpiece to be enjoyed in unique outdoor setting. Tickets: From R80. More info.
• Cape Town, City Hall: Viennese New Year Concert. 17 January 2016. With the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra. Booking at Computicket or see more info here.
• Cape Town, various locations. Galileo Open Air Cinema. Throughout January 2016. Tickets: From R79. Booking at Computicket or see more info here.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Bangalory's Back. Until 9 January 2016. Much-loved children's book presented in an interactive show during the school holidays. Tickets: R95. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape: Humpty, Dumpty and Friends. 6 - 8 January 2016. Show for the whole family. With Cape Town City Ballet. Tickets: R100/R50 for children (2 - 16 years). More info.
For more events for families with children go to
• Elgin Valley, Paul Cluver Wine Estate: The Parlotones. 2 January 2016. See South Africa's top rock band live and enjoy the great open-air concert atmosphere in the beautiful amphitheatre. Tickets: R300, book at computicket.
• Stellenbosch, Oude Libertas: Richard Cock and the Cape Philharmonic Orchestra. 16 January 2016. With the much celebrated South African philharmonic orchestra. Tickets: R200. More info.
• Stellenbosch, Oude Libertas: Tango - Language of Love. Tangotaal. 23 January 2016. Tickets: From R180.
• Stellenbosch: Stellenbosch Wine Festival. 30 January 2016 and 5 - 7 February 2016. Tickets: R180. Park and Ride Facilities. Tickets at web tickets.co.za. More info.
If you know about other great Cape Town events January 2016, please contact us.
Are you interested in updates and other Cape Town Insider Tips?
More info on Cape Town Events in January can be found on the Computicket website: www.computicket.com, where you can find more info on location and pricing and can make your bookings.
Photo Credit: Urbancowboy/Shutterstock.com