There are many exciting Cape Town events in January happening which you will love to join while living in the Mother City.
Start with celebrating the new year in 2017 in true Cape Town style with visiting the Mother City’s Minstrel Carnival. Colours abound and cheerfulness abound when the minstrel bands march through Cape Town’s city centre. The Cape minstrel bands dressed in beautiful bright fancy costumes will march through the Bo-Kaap and Cape Town's city centre and are cheered by their many fans, locals as well as tourists who will enjoy the festivities either along Adderley Street. And there are many other great Cape Town events in January you can enjoy while visiting or living in Cape Town. And not to forget, make sure to visit Cape Town’s amazing blue flag beaches.
So enjoy summer time in Cape Town and have a fabulous start into 2017!
• Cape Town, City Center: Tweede Nuwe Jaar Minstrel Carnival. 2 January 2017. Popular march through the city starts at 12h00. This year the march is through the city center only and not through the BoKaap. Please be aware of the many street closures. More info.
• Cape Town, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens: Kirstenbosch Summer Concerts. Sundays in January 2017. 1/8/15/22/29 January 2017. With Goldfish, Jimmy Nevis, The Parlotones and others. Tickets: From R125. Concessions available. More info.
• Cape Town, Kenilworth: L'Ormarins Queens Plate. 6 - 7 January 2017. General Access: From R350. More info here.
• Cape Town, City Hall: Viennese New Year Concert. 7 January 2017. With the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra. Booking at Computicket or see more info here.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Hashtag Lottering! 17 January 2017 - 4 February 2017. Comedy Show with Mark Lottering, one of South Africa's best comedians. Tickets: From R75. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Michael Jackson - History Show. 19 - 29 January 2017. Tickets: From R10. More info.
• Cape Town, Maynardville Open Air Theatre: Twelfth Night. 21 January 2017 until 25 February 2017. Shakespeare's masterpiece to be enjoyed in unique outdoor setting. Tickets: From R120. More info.
• Cape Town, Grand West Casino Complex: Cape Town Motor Show. 27 -29 January 2017. Tickets: R100. More info. Booking at Computicket.
• Cape Town, Kenilworth: Sun Met Horserace. 28 January 2017. Previously called the J+B Met, this is the most prestigious annual horse racing event in Cape Town. This year's theme: 'Decades of Glamour'. General Access: R125. More info or see more info on last year's event here.
• Cape Town, various locations. Galileo Open Air Cinema. Throughout January 2017. Tickets: From R79. Booking at Computicket or see more info here.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Annie. Until 8 January 2017. Family Musical Show on the favourite children's character. Tickets: R500. Tickets at Computicket
• Cape Town, CBD: Peter Pan and Tinkerbelle. Until 8 January 2017. Ballet adaptation of the popular story by Scottish novelist J.M. Barrie. At Artscape Theatre. Tickets: From R110. More info.
For more events for families with children go to
• Elgin Valley, Paul Cluver Wine Estate: The Parlotones. 7 January 2017. See South Africa's top rock band live and enjoy the great open-air concert atmosphere in the beautiful amphitheatre. Tickets: R300, book at computicket.
• Stellenbosch Street Soirees.11 & 25 January 2017. Tickets: R70. More info.
If you know about other great Cape Town events January 2017 we should add here, please contact us.
Are you interested in updates and other Cape Town Insider Tips?
More info on Cape Town Events in January can be found on the Computicket website: www.computicket.com, where you can find more info on location and pricing and can make your bookings.
Photo Credit: Urbancowboy/Shutterstock.com