There are many exciting Cape Town events in January happening which you will love to join while living in the Mother City.
Start with celebrating the new year in 2018 in true Cape Town style with visiting the Mother City’s Minstrel Carnival. Colours abound and cheerfulness abound when the minstrel bands march through Cape Town’s city centre. The Cape minstrel bands dressed in beautiful bright fancy costumes will march through the Bo-Kaap and Cape Town's city centre and are cheered by their many fans, locals as well as tourists who will enjoy the festivities either along Adderley Street. And there are many other great Cape Town events in January you can enjoy while visiting or living in Cape Town. And not to forget, make sure to visit Cape Town’s amazing blue flag beaches.
So enjoy summer time in Cape Town and have a fabulous start into 2018!
• Cape Town, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens: Kirstenbosch Summer Concerts. Every Sunday: 1/7/14/21/28 January 2018. With Freshlyground, Prime Circle, The Parlotones and others. Tickets: From R125 at webtickets. Concessions available. More info.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Evita - The Musical. until 7 January 2018. Tickets: From R100. More info.
• Cape Town, City Center: Tweede Nuwe Jaar Minstrel Carnival. 2 January 2018. Popular march through the city starts at 12h00. This year the march is through the city center only and not through the BoKaap. Please be aware of the many street closures. More info.
• Cape Town, Kenilworth: L'Ormarins Queens Plate. 5 - 6 January 2018. General Access: From R350. More info here.
• Cape Town, CTICC: Viennese New Year Concert. 6 January 2018. With the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra. Booking at Computicket or see more info here.
• Cape Town, Artscape Theatre: Cinderella on Ice. 10 - 28 January 2018. Ice show put together by world-famous iceskating champions and performed by the Imperial Ice Stars. Tickets: From R95. More info.
• Stellenbosch, Oude Libertas: Viennese Nigtht with Richard Cock. 13 January 2018. With the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra. Tickets: R220. More info.
• Cape Town, Maynardville Open Air Theatre: Twelfth Night. 21 January 2017 until 25 February 2017. Shakespeare's masterpiece to be enjoyed in unique outdoor setting. Tickets: From R120. More info.
• Cape Town, Baxter Theatre: Funny you should say that. 22 January 2018 - 3 February 2018. Comedy Show with Stuart Taylor, one of South Africa's best comedians. Tickets: From R80. More info.
• Cape Town, Kenilworth: Sun Met Horserace. 27 January 2018. Previously called the J+B Met, this is the most prestigious annual horse racing event in Cape Town. This year's theme: 'Style ahead of the Field'. General Access: R200. More info or see more info on last year's event here.
• Cape Town, various locations. Galileo Open Air Cinema. Throughout January 2018. Tickets: From R89. Booking at Computicket or see more info here.
• Cape Town, Century City: Space Station. 7 December 2017 - 14 January 2018. At Canal Walk Shopping Centre. Tickets: From R40. More info.
• Cape Town, Grand West: Transformers Animatronics. Until 21 January 2018. Breath-taking sculptures, made from wrecked cars. Tickets: R89. More info.
• Elgin Valley, Paul Cluver Wine Estate: The Parlotones. 13 January 2018. See South Africa's top rock band live and enjoy the great open-air concert atmosphere in the beautiful amphitheatre. Tickets: R330. More info.
• Stellenbosch, Delheim Wine Estate: Harvest Festival. 27 January 2018. Tickets: R650. More info.
If you know about other great Cape Town events in January 2018 we should add here, please contact us.
Are you interested in updates and other Cape Town Insider Tips?
More info on Cape Town Events in January can be found on the Computicket website: www.computicket.com, where you can find more info on location and pricing and can make your bookings.
Photo Credit: Urbancowboy/Shutterstock.com